Well-Being and Spiritual Intelligence Predict Attitudes of Adolescents’ Towards Violence

Author/s: Özge Erduran Tekin

DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.37898/spc.2022.7.3.181 

Year: 2022 Vol: 7 Number: 3


In this study, it is aimed to examine the relationships between the well-being, spiritual intelligence and attitudes of adolescents living in Turkey towards violence. The sample of the study consists of 466 high school students (194 girls, 272 boys) aged between 14 and 19, selected using the convenience sampling method. In the study, “Scale for Spiritual Intelligence”, “Five-Dimensional Well-being for Adolescents (EPOCH) Scale” and “Attitude towards Violence Scale for Adolescents” and demographic information form were used as measurement tools. Hierarchical regression analysis was used to test the predictiveness of adolescents’ well-being and spiritual intelligence on their attitudes towards violence. According to the findings obtained from the research, there is a moderately negative and significant relationship between attitude towards violence and well-being. It is seen that there is a low negative and significant relationship between attitude towards violence and spiritual intelligence. It was identified that there is a moderate positive and significant relationship between well-being and spiritual intelligence scores. The well-being variable explaining 32% of the attitude scores towards violence was first included in the staged multiple regression analysis performed. And in the second stage, the spiritual intelligence variable, which contributes 2% to the explained variance, was also included. When the total variance explained is examined, it is seen that the variables of well-being and spiritual intelligence together explain 34% of the total variance in the attitude scores towards violence. This finding shows us that the change in well-being and spiritual intelligence scores predicts the change in the scores of the attitude towards violence.

Turkish adolescents • Spiritual intelligence • Adolescence • Well-being • Violence

Click for Turkish (Türkçe)